New York Types of Brain Injuries Lawyer
A traumatic brain injury, sometimes referred to as a TBI, is an alteration in the function of the brain caused by an external force. Traumatic brain injuries are a class of brain injuries that is distinguishable from other types of brain injuries such as hereditary and congenital which affect a baby prior to birth, or brain damage that is induced by birth trauma. There are several types of brain injuries. The leading cause of traumatic brain injuries are falls. Nearly 40% of all traumatic brain injuries and 50% of traumatic brain injuries in babies, adolescents, and the elderly result from falls. Other top causes of brain injuries are car accidents, being struck by an object, and assaults. Traumatic brain injuries are dangerous. Even mild brain injuries can lead to difficult symptoms such as headaches, dizziness, confusion, nausea, and sensitivity to light and sound. Severe injuries can cause the victim to fall into a coma or die. If you in need of an injury attorney because you are suffering from the effects of a traumatic brain injury that you believe was caused by the negligence of another person, it is important that you immediate contact an experienced New York brain injury lawyer who will review the events that led up to your injury and help you file a claim for damages that will compensate you for your medical bills and other expenses related to your brain injury.Types of traumatic brain injuries
There are several categories of traumatic brain injuries, including:
- Concussion: A concussion is one of the most common types of traumatic brain injuries. It is typically caused by a blow to the head or when the head is shaken back and forth. When this happens the blood vessels in the brain stretch and cranial nerves tear. Victims of contusions typically feel dazed and confused or lose consciousness. Concussions can that a long time to heal—days, weeks, months, or even years.
- Contusion: A contusion is a bruise on the brain that is typically the result of a direct, violent blow to the head.
- Diffuse axonal injury. A diffuse axonal injury is caused when the head is shaken back and forth. When this happens nerve tissue throughout the brain tears, causing a disruption in communication throughout the brain. Oftentimes the result is that the victim falls into a coma or dies.
- Coup-contrecoup injury. A coup-contrecoup injury describes when both sides of the brain have contusions. This happens when the blow to the head is so violent that the result is a contusion on side of the brain, and the brain then slams against the opposite side of the skull causing a contusion on the other side of the brain
- Penetrating injury. A penetrating brain injury occurs when something such as bullet, knife, or bone fragments penetrate the brain.
Regardless of the type of brain injury, any serious brain injury can have a devastating impact on the victim and the victim’s family. Victims can suffer from permanent physical disabilities as well as cognitive challenges. Persistent headaches, dizziness, confusion, seizures, memory loss, blurred vision, and speech problems make activities of daily living difficult, and can make working impossible. As brain injury attorneys in New York, we know that brain injury victims and their families often face financial problems. They also worry that they will not be able to afford treatment. A solution to this dilemma is to hold the person who caused your brain injury accountable, by making them pay for the damage they caused. Through a personal injury lawsuit you can demand fair compensation for your medical bills, lost wages, pain and suffering, and other related expenses.Contact the Law Offices of Stephen Bilkis & Associates
If you or someone you know suffered a serious brain injury in accident, it is critical that you have a knowledgeable brain injury attorney serving New York on your team. Personal injury cases based on accidents that resulted in serious injuries are complicated. The attorneys at the Law Offices of Stephen Bilkis & Associates has years of experience winning favorable settlements for clients who have suffered terrible injuries in car accidents, truck accidents, workplace accidents, and other types of catastrophic accidents. Contact us at 800.696.9529 to schedule a free, no obligation consultation regarding your case. We represent clients in the following locations: the Bronx, Brooklyn, Long Island, Manhattan, Nassau County, Queens, Staten Island, Suffolk County and Westchester County.