New York Brain Injury Lawyer
A brain injury is an injury that upsets the normal functioning of the brain. While a baby can be born with brain damage due to a genetic disorder or a birth injury, a traumatic brain injury occurs when an outside force causes a blow, strike or jolt to the head so forceful that the brain is damaged when it hits the skull. When the brain is injured, even if the damage is mild, the victim may suffer not only physical pain and physical problems, the victim may suffer a myriad of other types of symptoms including sensory problems and behavior changes. The experienced New York brain injury lawyers at the Law Offices of Stephen Bilkis & Associates understand how disruptive and devastating damage from a brain injury can be not only for the victim, but also for the victim’s family. We are here to help ensure that you have the resources to pay for the care you need.Types of brain injuries
There are several different types of traumatic brain injuries.
- Concussion. The brain receives trauma from a blow to the head, a jolt or a strike.
- Contusion. An injury that causes a bruise on the brain.
- Open head injury. An injury where an object such as a bullet, knife, or bone fragments penetrate the brain.
- Hematoma. A pooling of blood in the brain, or between the brain and the outermost covering.
- Hemorrhage. Bleeding in the brain.
- Anoxic brain injury. An injury to the brain caused by a deprivation of oxygen.
- Diffuse axonal injury. A brain injury caused by shaking or rotating of the head. It is the injury that babies suffer when shaken.
Falls are the leading cause of brain injuries, account for 35-45%. Most brain injuries in children and adolescents, as well as the elderly are caused by falls. Traffic accidents and struck by or against events, account for next leading causes of brain injuries. About 10% of brain injuries are caused by assaults. Other causes of brain injuries include electrocution, explosions, and fireworks. Many people, including children, who participate and sports and recreational activities sustain concussions and other types of brain injuries. In some sports it is estimated that well over half of participants have suffered a mild brain injury.Symptoms of brain injuries
There are a variety of symptoms of brain injuries. The symptoms that a victim will experience depends on the type of injury, the part of the brain affected, and the severity of the injury. For example, if the frontal lobe was damaged, then the victim may have mood swings and have difficulty concentrating. If the damage is to the parietal lobe, the victim may have poor visual perception and difficulty reading. Damage to the temporal lobes may cause the victim to become aggressive, while damage to the occipital lobes may cause the victim to have hallucinations and have difficulty reading and writing.
Other symptoms may include nausea, dizziness, slurred speech, headaches, loss of balance, loss of coordination, and loss of consciousness.Pursuing compensation for a brain injury
As a brain injury attorney in New York will explain, if your brain injury was caused by another person, you may be eligible for compensation. You must first prove that the defendant you named negligently caused the accident, as a result you sustained a brain injury, and suffered a loss. You can demand reimbursement of medical expenses arising from the injury such as hospitalization, medication, surgery, and rehabilitation. You can also demand payment for future medical expenses, since brain injuries often require long-term treatment and rehabilitation. In your personal injury claim you can also demand payment to cover your lost earnings and loss of future earnings. Pain and suffering is another compensable expense. If your brain injury occurred at work, you can file for workers’ compensation benefits which will provide you with medical care as well as a cash benefit.Examples
A drunk driver hits your vehicle head-on, causing you to sustain a concussion. As an brain injury attorney in New York will explain, the drunk driver may be liable to you based on driving recklessly in violation New York law.
You fall down a staircase in a dimly lit staircase, hitting your head on the floor. The property owner or manager may be liable to you based on failing to maintain safe premises.
An assailant stabs you in the head, causing you to suffer an open head injury. The assailant would be liable to you for intentionally injuring you.Contact the Law Offices of Stephen Bilkis & Associates
If you or someone you love suffered a serious brain injury that was caused by another person, business, or government agency, you may be entitled to compensation to help you pay for your medical bill, and other losses. The brain injury attorneys serving New York at the Law Offices of Stephen Bilkis & Associates have the skill and resources to help ensure that your legal rights are protected and that you receive just recompense for your brain injury based on the facts of your case. Contact us at 800.696.9529 to schedule a free, no obligation consultation regarding your case. We represent clients in the following locations: the Bronx, Brooklyn, Long Island, Manhattan, Nassau County, Queens, Staten Island, Suffolk County and Westchester County.
- ATV Accident Brain Injury
- Auto Accident Brain Injury
- Basal Skull Fracture
- Bicycle Accident Brain Injury
- Brain Contusion
- Brain Damage
- Brain Swell / Cerebral Edema
- Construction Accident Brain Injury
- Epidural Hematoma
- Head Injury
- Motorcycle Accident Brain Injury
- Occipital Fracture
- Orbital Blowout Fracture
- Skull Fracture
- Skull Injury
- Slip and Fall Brain Injury
- Subdural Hematoma
- Subway Accident Brain Injury
- SUV Accident Brain Injury
- Traumatic Brain Injury
- Truck Accident Brain Injury
- New York Types of TBI Lawyer
- New York Stroke Brain Injuries Lawyer
- New York Brain Injury in Infants Lawyer
- New York Acquired Brain Injury Lawyer
- New York Open Head Injury Lawyer
- New York Physical Effects of a Brain Injury Lawyer
- New York Anoxic Brain Injuries Lawyer
- New York Behavioral Effects of a Brain Injury Lawyer
- New York Brain Injury FAQs
- New York Penetrating Head Injury Lawyer
- New York Brain Injury Rehabilitation Lawyer
- New York Brain Infection Injuries Lawyer
- New York Closed Head Injury Lawyer
- New York Organic Brain Damage Lawyer
- New York Lacerations Lawyer
- New York Hematomas Lawyer
- New York Post-Traumatic Amnesia Lawyer
- New York Cognitive Effects of a Brain Injury Lawyer
- New York Symptoms of Brain Injuries Lawyer
- New York Costs Associated with Brain Injuries Lawyer
- New York Common Causes of Brain Injury Lawyer
- New York Levels of Brain Injury Lawyer
- New York Risk Factors of Traumatic Brain Injury Lawyer
- New York Symptoms of TBI Lawyer
- New York Types of Brain Injuries Lawyer
- New York Failure to Diagnose Brain Injury Lawyer
- New York Child Brain Injury Lawyer
- New York Pediatric Head Injury Lawyer
- New York Coup-Contrecoup Injury Lawyer
- New York Mild Traumatic Brain Injury Lawyer